Does your business have PDF documentation in poor quality? Or perhaps unusable TIF files? Unknown extension? Information upgrades and automation processes for digital documentation is increasing its relevance.
Whether it is a lack of properly designed technology, complex business processes, or upgrade/maintain across the whole area of Information Technology is difficult to determine. However, the life cycle of documentation is often flawed as-is, and it is not alone in needing an upgrade. It lacks the stage where you implement a strategy that ensures your documentation is always in usable, readable, and searchable formats, always upgraded.
Through the years of different processes and systems, born-digital documentation (no paper origin) can have been through an array things. However, has it upgraded or is it still in 1) the original format, which might not be ideal to work in, or 2) a format that is outdated and does not operate with the newest software?
ISO 15489-2016 Records Management
According to ISO 15489, a record is ‘information created, received, and maintained as evidence and as an asset to an organization or person, in pursuit of legal obligations or in the transaction of business.’ For it to be proof of anything, it first and foremost needs to be readable.
Records can be in many formats, such the formats in which a record can be kept:
• Word Documents
• Excel Spreadsheets
• Visio Diagrams
• Photographs (print and digital)
• Digital Images
• Voice Mail
• Audio and Video Recordings
• Instant, Text and E-mail Messages
• Post‐it Notes
• Social Media Postings
• PowerPoint Presentations
It takes an active effort to ensure that these formats are useful as 'evidence.'
Workability in a data-driven world
Extracting data from a document – maybe in a picture format as a manual task takes time and is certainly not living up to any business’ efficiency aspirations. The resources spent on staff hours to find, search and identify correct data manually can be very high, depending on how much and how your business wishes to use its data in their documentation.
Current tools depend on data extraction and analyzing the content of these documents. These tools have been on the market for a while now, but the quality of the output is now so high that one can depend on them.
Today’s scenario and a way forward
To list the usual situation that is today’s reality:
- No durability leading to no usability (ISO 15489 requirement)
- Image formats causes great difficulties in trying to identify and extract data
- Causing a waste of resources due to manual searches and processing
- Conflicts with the newest software
- Might conflict with industry regulations
A way forward could include:
- Increasing the workability in the files
- Enhances the efficiency by automating data extraction
- Comply with the ISO 15489 (durability and usability)
- Conversion: files can get converted to/from more than 400+ formats
- Ensuring the files work with the newest software
- Lifts business processes and preparations
Finally, focus is growing on Information Upgrade ensuring a selection of solutions, making it possible to adjust to your specific needs.